In case the giant button wasn’t clear, I am a mentor this year for Brenda Drake’s Pitch Wars!
Pitch Wars is this awesome thing where over forty authors (published or agented), editors, or interns will be paired up with a writer. We’ll help you polish your manuscripts and pitches until they shine!
There are SEVENTEEN amazing agents, including Louise Fury and Suzie Townsend, who will be taking a look at these pitches. The full list is at the bottom of this page.
For submission guidelines, more information, and to see a full list of mentors, please hop on over to Brenda Drake’s blog.
Hi! I’m Laura Tims.
Some boring facts about me: I’m an English Major at Goucher College, I’m 21, and I’m from Maine.
Some relevant facts about me: I have a YA book called PLEASE DON’T TELL coming out in 2015, about a girl who kills the boy who hurt her sister, and a second untitled book coming out (most likely) in 2016, both from HarperCollins. I’m repped by Sarah Davies of the Greenhouse Literary Agency, and I’ve interned at FinePrint Literary Management.
Some random facts about me: I’ve never been seriously injured, so clearly I’m doing something wrong. I’ll try any weird food at least once. I’m one of those people who has a really hard time coming up with random facts about themselves.
Things I like: Hayao Miyazaki movies, Sherlock, Florence and the Machine, Explosions in the Sky, anime (Fullmetal Alchemist, Attack on Titan, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and Paranoia Agent are my faves), Game of Thrones and Legend of Korra. Favorite authors are Libba Bray, Courtney Summers, Laurie Halse Anderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Kurt Vonnegut, Haruki Murakami, Kristin Cashore, Lev Grossman, Rae Carson, and Patrick Ness. Putting this up because I’m always looking for people to fangirl with!
My category is Young Adult! I’m not looking for Middle Grade, New Adult, or Adult.
Genres I would love to see:
- I’m a sucker for complex, realistic characters who mess up, don’t always do the right thing, and aren’t necessarily “likable” in the traditional sense. Think Courtney Summers protagonists.
- I like books that aren’t romance-centric, and when it comes to romance subplots, I’m more of a fan of quirky, honest romance, like ELEANOR & PARK.
- Original conflicts are great. I love it when characters face dilemmas that haven’t necessarily been touched on in a ton of other books.
- If your book focuses on gender issues, or has an asexual or trans* protagonist, get at me.
- I’m a HUGE fan of high fantasy, particularly when the world is inspired by East Asia or the Middle East. I would KILL for a fantasy book with the same tone as a Hayao Miyazaki movie.
- I’m not necessarily looking for “girl gets involved in a rebellion” books, just because I feel like I’ve read a lot of those recently.
- Unique fantastical elements, or a new spin on those elements, are my favorite. For instance, instead of dwarves and dragons, maybe the magic is less typical.
- I want books with settings on other planets, like a terraformed Mars, with a unique and interesting culture. I get less excited about books that take place entirely on a spaceship.
- I would be really interested in a future society that isn’t dystopian. Hey, maybe things turn out great in the future! I’m thinking Star Trek, where the fact that society has progressed a lot doesn’t mean there aren’t dynamic conflicts.
Reasons why you should submit to me:
- I’m awesome.
- You’re awesome.
- Together we will be the most awesome.
SECRET LETTER: U